Message from the Senator
Thank you for your interest in being nominated to a United States Service Academy. Service to your country and fellow citizens is one of the highest callings in the career field.
A nomination to a service academy is only the first step in the appointment process. With the individual academies making the final decision in accepting a nominee, it is important that you open a file with each academy as well. The information you send to the academy will be used in consideration of your appointment.
Applications open March 1st and close on November 15th. I recommend completing your applications as early as possible for the best chance of receiving a nomination.
The following must be submitted online by November 15 (no exceptions):
- Application for Nomination
- Resume - include education overview, achievements, athletics, leadership and service contributions.
- Interview – Signed form with date of completion
- One page essay, “Why I want to attend a Service Academy?”
- 3 Letters of Recommendation with form - not from a family member
- A signed Release of Information form
- Principal or Guidance Counselor form
- Proof of Idaho Residency - only if you reside out of the state of Idaho
- School transcript with GPA – Certified copy. Class ranking if available
- ACT or SAT scores — Certified copy from school or agency - Here are the codes for distribution: SAT code: 4468 ACT code: 7123
Above items should be completed and converted into a PDF format then submitted online.
This is a paperless process, but technical issues should not stop you from completing your application.
If you have any questions please contact Frances Hasenoehrl at (208) 743-0792 or Frances_Hasenoehrl@risch.senate.gov.
Nominations will be announced by the end of December. Although the process is lengthy and very competitive, the opportunities you will have if selected are tremendous. I wish you all the best as you seek this nomination.
Very Truly Yours,
James E. Risch
United States Senator
Coast Guard Nominations
The United States Coast Guard Academy does not require congressional nominations. If you are interested in attending the USCG Academy, you should contact the Academy directly at: USCGA, Admissions Office, New London, Connecticut 06320 (www.cga.edu); or by calling 1-(800)-883-8724.
Additional Application Forms
- Important Information - 2015.pdf (16.7 KBs)
- Interview Form - 2015.pdf (156.3 KBs)
- Release of Information Form - 2015.pdf (9.8 KBs)
- Service Academy Contact Information - 2015.pdf (17.8 KBs)
- Letter of Recommendation Form - 2015.pdf (55.6 KBs)
- Principal or Guidance Counselor Recommendation - 2015.pdf (56.1 KBs)
- Nomination Application Checklist - 2015.pdf (65.8 KBs)
- Steps to Success - 2015.pdf (56.5 KBs)