As your U.S. Senator, one of my most important roles is to assist you with any matter pertaining to a federal agency. If you are experiencing a problem with a federal agency, allow me to intervene on your behalf. Members of my staff are specially trained to address and help resolve these types of matters.

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions. I hope you find this information helpful.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Senator Risch help me if I am requesting assistance on behalf of someone else?

Due to the Privacy Act of 1974, the person needing assistance is required to provide written consent before releasing any confidential case information. Those seeking assistance are required to complete a Privacy Act Consent Form and specify whether or not my office has the permission to contact the federal agency and share any case information with you.

If you are the parent of a child under the age of 18, you may submit an inquiry on your child's behalf. If you are an authorized guardian or have power of attorney for an adult individual, please enclose a copy of that evidence with your completed Privacy Act Consent Form.

Return to Top
What information will I need to include with the Privacy Act Consent Form?

Most importantly, you will need to sign the form. Please remember to include any identifying information that is needed such as a social security number, date of birth, alien number, military rank and unit, VA claim number or agency application number.

Please also include a letter to the Senator explaining the problem you are having and specify the federal agency that you have contacted. Also, please note how you would like my office to assist you. Federal agencies require that all information be written in English.

Return to Top
Who can I contact if I have additional questions?

If you would like to speak with a member of my casework staff, scroll to the bottom of the page to or click here to locate the regional office nearest you and give them a call.  Additionally, some of your questions may be answered by visiting the 'Help With A Federal Agency' section.

Return to Top
Can Senator Risch help me if I am not a resident of the state of Idaho?

While my office welcomes the opportunity to assist you, as a courtesy, you need to contact your federal representatives in your home state.

Non-Idaho residents may locate their U.S. Senator by visiting,

Return to Top
Can Senator Risch help with an issue that is under the jurisdiction of the state of Idaho?

It is a long-standing tradition that state and local matters be directed to the appropriate official for investigation. Please contact the Office of the Governor at 208-334-2100 or your state senator, representative, or local official for assistance with these types of matters.

Return to Top
Can Senator Risch appeal an agency's decision?

Unfortunately, my office does not have the authority to overturn a decision already given by a federal agency.

Return to Top
Can Senator Risch assist me with a legal matter?

Senate ethics rules will not allow me to offer legal advice and I cannot intervene on matters that are pending before the courts.

Return to Top
How can Senator Risch help me?

To request assistance from my office, please complete the Privacy Act Consent Form.

Return to Top
What can I do to request assistance with a federal issue?

From time to time an individual may have a problem or concern with a federal government agency. To request assistance from my office in dealing with the issue, please contact my regional office nearest to you. Their locations and contact information can be found at the bottom of this page. Once it is determined that we can assist you with your issue, you will be asked to fill out a Privacy Act Consent Form.

Return to Top
Why must I submit a Privacy Act Consent Form to get the Senator to help me?

The Privacy Act of 1974 protects your personal information and prohibits a federal agency from distributing your personal information to a third party without your written consent. A federal agency will not release to my office any of your confidential case information without proof of consent.

Return to Top
Where do I send my Privacy Act Consent Form?

Return your Privacy Act Consent Form to the caseworker that is assisting you. Most often that is the regional office closest to you.

Please click here to locate the Regional Office nearest you.

Return to Top